LinkedIn is the most popular professional network for connecting with colleagues, advertising yourself as a candidate, and sharing content applicable to your trade. With so many people joining LinkedIn daily, it’s important to differentiate yourself with a well-organized and informative profile. The best LinkedIn profiles effectively summarize the key aspects of a user’s career and are interesting to read without providing unnecessary details. As LinkedIn becomes increasingly more important in the professional world, here are some of the most important ways you can maximize your LinkedIn profile.
While populating your account with pertinent career information should be your primary goal when editing your LinkedIn account, select personal details make all the difference in making yourself appear more personable and interesting. For example, adding a few personal interests in your summary can serve as an easy ice-breaker for new connections eager to learn more about you.
- A background photo to replace the dull blue stock background that we all started with can inform viewers of your current city if you post a skyline or your favorite sports team if you choose an applicable background.
- Many companies provide free headshots to staff specifically for LinkedIn, but even if that’s not your circumstance, a headshot is worth the investment to land your profile more attention.
- Another key detail on LinkedIn is the personal URL. On your personal page under your picture, name, and education there should be a small bar that allows you to change your stock URL to something more personable for a business card or email signature.
It’s All About The Details
In your summary, you should give an overview of your professional career complete with what you do at your current position, career ambitions, any pertinent skills, and as mentioned previously a few personal details to liven up your profile.
- For experience, you should summarize your current position and past positions with important accomplishments, an overview of tasks performed, and whenever possible a record of quantifiable achievements (ex. annual sales total). There’s even a section for volunteer activities, which can allow you to connect with other volunteers at organizations all over the world.
- The Education section on LinkedIn is pertinent especially to college students or recent graduates but visitors to your account will certainly pay attention to important details like your Alma Mater, activities you took part in at school, pertinent courses you took, and your GPA.
Posting and Interacting
A personalized LinkedIn account isn’t complete without regular interactions with connections.
- Posting regularly puts your profile at the forefront of your connections’ minds and allows you to show some of your personal interests. Liking and sharing connections’ posts also shows them that you’re interested in their content.
- You can post articles associated with your industry or you could even post open positions from Reflik, if a connection applies to the position from your link and is hired, you’ll be sent the referral reward for the hire.
- Endorsing a connection’s skills similarly demonstrates interest and encourages them to in turn endorse you for a skill.
- Make sure to join groups that have to do with your interests or career on LinkedIn. Type a few key words into LinkedIn search to see what’s out there and check out what your colleagues or college friends belong to on LinkedIn. Groups are a great way to show off your interests as well as find valuable new connections.
After following some of our tips for maximizing your LinkedIn, you can get started making the most of your newly edited profiled! Here are a few ways you can leverage LinkedIn to your benefit.
- With an edited profile it will be far easier for connections to find you online or recruiters to reach out to you with new job opportunities.
- Export your LinkedIn information into resume format or at the very least utilize it as a resource when editing your resume.
- Post open positions from Reflik on LinkedIn and earn money when candidates that use your links are hired!
- Advertise your business or work by posting content on LinkedIn.