Working in talent acquisition is an all-encompassing proposition. Whether the job market is “up” or “down,” whether you have plenty of applicants for only a few jobs, or plenty of jobs for only a few applicants – you have to work hard to match those job openings to candidates.
It can be easy to let your vision narrow to the point where you only think about getting those candidates matched with job openings you know about. It would be nice if you could simply fill “every seat on the bus” but is that really enough? Your decision to become a recruiter was likely, at least in part, motivated by the satisfaction of doing a job well and helping people find work they love.
When you are trying to place a candidate in a position, remember that you aren’t just looking for “a” job, you are looking for “the” job. With lots of jobs to choose from, your approach needs to be unique, fresh and unforgettable. To be successful, you need to learn about the job openings that you know of but you also need to know more about “them,” the candidates that you want to help.
You need to study the company to know about the industry and the company culture but the true work comes in knowing what the candidates want. Job referrals are the best source of new employees because they match the work environment better. You want to provide the best candidates for the company and you want to provide the best company for your candidate.
You need to get to know the candidate by learning about:
Their skills and experience
– work skills and education are fine on a resume but you can get a better story with a conversation.
– are they wanting to be near family-friendly activities or closer to a fast-paced, city life?
– do they want to be near the coast, feel better in a city or do they like to spend weekends in the country?
Their real desires
– are they early in their career path and looking for a way to move up or looking for a permanent job to practice what they know?
– we all know there is a range, you need to know about the dream, the “good enough” amount, and the bottom line.
The more you know about the candidates, the more you can find what they really want. You aren’t eliminating anyone when you do a bit of digging, you are ensuring the best match. When you think you have found the right candidate for the right job, candidates want to hear from you.
– about their progress. A lot of candidates who submit resumes never even hear that they were received. As a talent acquisition professional, you keep them apprised of their progress in the job search.
– as much as you have learned about the company, they want to know that, too. Tell them what you know – but encourage them to research on their own. This includes looking beyond the company website and further into news and financial stories, industry reports and new developments. Not only will they learn – they will be more prepared for an interview and more committed to working for that company when the time comes.
– your candidates don’t want to spend a lot of time spinning their wheels. They want their time to matter – which is why they have you to do a lot of the footwork.
Reflik helps talent acquisition professionals manage a lot of the mundane processes without a lot of effort through our candidate matching, communication options, and tracking processes.
Reflik’s system lets you get back to what you love to do – finding the right candidates for the right jobs. Check out Reflik’s “how it works” on video or get started right now and sign-up for free, today!
Reflik is changing the recruiting game through the power of social media and crowdsourcing. We know that the best source of candidates is through referrals. Our referral-driven system uses a proprietary matching algorithm to match great jobs with great people. It’s a win-win-win. Employers win by getting the best candidates through referrals for less money. Recruiters win by accessing more job listings, using our automated system and through hiring rewards. Members and job-seekers win by finding great jobs and getting real rewards. Check out Reflik today to see how rewarding it is!
by Ash Geria